Monday, December 7, 2009

Riding The Steam Locomotive

We were privileged to go on this outing with Holly and her family; Casey, Ilex, Drake and Ivy, also including Casey's folks, Stan and Carol. What an experience to feel the raw power that can only be felt by being near a live steam engine.

We enjoyed the 40 min. ride along the historic Portland Traction line viewing the river on one side of the train and a wild-life refuge on the other. The day was exquisite. (and extremely cold, I might add!)

Portland is fortunate to have a couple of the most powerful operating steam locomotives in the world.

Empire Builder






View From The Train





Santa On The Train




Us at the train

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Fabulous photos!! I soooooo wish we could have been there. I might try to get Russ to take us up next Sunday...

grandma and grandpa said...

What a fun trip. So glad you were able to do that. Sorry we can't seem to come up with the pictures you want (need). Maybe eventually. Mom

Molly @ A Bit O' Shine said...

The photos are AMAZING. Just something about a steam engine that is awe-inspiring.
I didn't know about this (I don't get out much, haha) and now I really want to go!

Mon Cheri said...

Molly, you have one more weekend to get there! It runs again the 11-13th. Get your tickets and more info at www.orhf.org. The inside of the trains are heated but if it stays this cold and you want to get pictures BUNDLE UP!

Molly @ A Bit O' Shine said...

Thanks for the info! I've been asking everyone I know if they knew about it and so far no one has. This is exactly the sort of thing my cousin will love and I can't wait to tell him.