Monday, March 2, 2009

Forcing Spring Branches

Spring's Budding branches can be cut and brought indoors to bloom a little early . This is a nifty way to get that color we are all craving at this time of the year.

Cut into the bottom of the branches to allow them to take up plenty of water then place in a vase. Wait for them to bloom. I love the way they look even just the way they are.

Daphne is so fragrant and can also be forced to bloom early.
( maybe forced is too strong a word- how about encouraged )


A few little vases on a fun cake plate and you have a great centerpiece.


Happy Spring!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheri, I have done this now twice with forsythia branches which brings a bright, sunny spot on our dining room table. Then last week, I brought in a nice bundle of the beautiful red stems of the variegated willow I got from you and the little leaves are starting to sprout. Really cute. But I love the red stems all by themselves. Also, I have brought in a couple pots of lily of the valley pips which are starting to grow. I am waiting for my daphne bush to get big enough to bring in more than a single flower at a time another year. Mom

Heidi said...

I love the daphne in little vases on the cake plate! I need to find some branches to bring in...

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell the Daphne from here :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I finally brought some daphne in yesterday. I can't believe one little sprig creates such heavenly smells - even when I'm not that close to it. Now I need to go look for some other types of branches to bring in. I saw the most spectacular branches with buds downtown in front of the Albany Museum - I wished I had had my clippers and no one was looking :) I know I can find some around the house if I could just have a few spare minutes to get out and look around.

Molly Anne said...

I've never tried this! But now I certainly will...