Monday, July 6, 2009

Heroes


Thanks To The Heroes,
Freedom Survives


Although he's always just been Daddy to me, (hero of his only daughter) my own Father is in that ever dwindling group of heroes, the WWII vets.


This past weekend was spent with him and my Mom, on their way home from visiting the country of Luxembourg, where they are honored each year as the heroes who saved that country from the Nazis 65 years ago.



Along with all the family activities of picnics and such we decided to have a photo session with a uniform borrowed from my husband's extensive collection of WWII items, since my dad's original one no longer quite fits :).

(And, yes, Shawn Connery looks quite a bit like my Dad!!)



We also took him to see the brick purchased in honor of him at our local veterans memorial.



Here's To The Heroes !

This post will appear on i heart faces this week in their patriotic addition.

7 comments:

Alicia W. said...

perfect post - i love it

Trish said...

I love it! Gpa Pietsch looks terrific! What fun!

Foursons said...

Your post gave me chills.
Beautiful photos! My FIL was a WWII vet and his stories still fascinate me even though I haven't heard them in over 5 years.

Mrs. McFadden said...

very beautiful, wonderful and apropriate. :0)

Joyeful said...

To see him in that uniform--WOW. My heart is full of gratitude for this hero!

nanajoy said...

Cheri...great pics of your Dad!! And "thank you" Grandpa Pietsch!!!!

Heidi said...

Beautiful, Mom. I'm so proud to have him for my Grandpa!!